Friday, March 4, 2011

Happy Hour at Howell

One nice surf wave

Yesterday I meet Rick, Larry, and others for some surf after work at Howell Island. Howell Island is very unusual surf wave. It is created when the Missouri river rises high enough to flow over a low water bridge. Both sides of the wave are more like poor overs, but in the middle you get a nice surf wave. What makes the wave so unique is that it pluses. One minute you will have an amazing wave and the next it’s just a big brown tongue. Yesterday was no exception, the first couple of runs were flushes, but once I got the wave’s timing, it was smooth surfing and 360’s all day.
Larry
Rick

If I was to compare the wave to anything, I would say it is very similar to Glenwood Springs play spot in Glenwood Springs Colorado. Howell Island has the surf and bounce to allow you to throw ends, blunts, and rumor has it that Larry has even loop here. With the water as cold as it was I manly stayed with surfing. Here is a little video I made. Enjoy.
Sunset at Howell


Howell Island 3-3-2011 from Curtis Ahlers on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment